Thursday, November 19, 2015

Recently my brother and I were talking about crap shows for kids alternative viewing options for children, and he recommended a few films his crew had enjoyed. 


I followed the tip and one night my daughter and I began watching The Song of the Sea.  The music was so beautiful and familiar, and after checking out the credits I saw the group Kila listed for many of the songs.


I first heard this group playing at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  The museum had a cool program called Art After 5 in which they'd have phenomenal international musicians play on Friday evenings in the Great Stair Hall.  I don't recall if on this particular night I was there for the art and heading out when I heard the music, or there for the free cheese (I was a student so that is likely) when I heard the music.  I remember hearing sound, moving toward the music, and then just standing mesmerized.  The musicians seemed entirely unaware of their surroundings and entirely in the music.  It was a tribal sound, powerful and enveloping.   The acoustics in the Great Stair Hall are unreal, and Kila filled it. 


After hearing Kila again in The Song of the Sea, I fished out the CD that was purchased long ago, and much like that time, have been wearing it out. 
 SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!







No comments:

Post a Comment