Wednesday, October 7, 2015

#9

This week I flipped through a book of old cd's and picked one I hadn't listened to in a few years. Good songs never get old, and this cd was composed from the incredibly cool project Playing for Change. I was familiar with most of the covers sung, but one was new to my ears the first time I heard it. Tonight I looked up the song to finally figure out it's origin, and a surprising story unfolded. Though it was written by U2 with creative support from Bob Dylan, the version I've been listening to is sung by The Omagh Community Youth Choir of Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is one of the most breathtaking places in the world, it's crashing coastline and immense raw beauty the exterior, it's walled cities, painted curbs, fences, gates, and murals part of the ongoing inheritance of heartbreak within.

So what a beautiful thing to stumble upon, this song that is so lifting, coming from the center of a place so divided.

No comments:

Post a Comment